We talk a lot about hardwood flooring, because we absolutely advocate that you have it in your house for these many reasons…
- Easy cleanup & maintenance
- Adds value to your home
- Makes your home look beautiful inside
- Can slide around on it (kids especially love this)
These are just some reasons why we love hardwood flooring… however today’s topic is about how to prevent your hardwood flooring from being scratched up, because it is important to keep your wood floors maintained and looking good!
How to Prevent Hardwood Flooring Scratches
Keeping Furniture From Scratching Your Floor
Have you ever seen those felt pads that you can put underneath your furniture?
Well how they work is you place them underneath each leg of your furniture which will ultimately prevent the legs from scratching the floor.
They not only prevent scratching but also make it much easier to move your furniture, because most of the place mats are smooth and slide very well on hardwood floors.
Keeping Shoes from Scratching Your Floor
Well you can make people take off their shoes at the entrance of your home which will ultimately be the best way to prevent shoes from scratching your house… however we realize that some people may not be this strict.
So what can you do to prevent shoes from scratching your floors?
You can put down place mats, or throw rugs at your doorways and hallways which can help keep people from dragging sand, grit or dirt on your floor.
We highly suggest though that you keep your shoes at the entrance of your house so that you don’t risk anyone being able to drag their shoes around and scratch up your floors.
If you Get Scratches
I know, you can do everything in the world to try and prevent scratches, but accidents happen.
So with that said there a few ways to get rid of scratches in your hardwood flooring.
- Simple scratches: There are hardwood scratch removal sprays that you can use
- Oils and finishes: repairs smaller but deeper scratches on your floor
- Wood patching: used on moderate scratches that are longer and deeper than normal
- Wood chemicals and fillers: if you happened to deeply scratch your floor then this is a must
- Lazy mans way: Just place a carpet over it and call it good (we don’t suggest this. ha)
- Prevent scratches by furniture with felt pads
- Place down rugs and place mats to prevent shoes from scratching your floors
- If you do get scratches then there are many ways to repair them
Read more here about maintenance on your hardwood floors.